Monday, January 15, 2007

turkey cutlets

I made Rachel Ray's turkey cutlets for dinner last night. They were very good. I had to make some modifications to method & ingredient but I like the result. My biggest problem with RR meals is the number of pots & pans used. I have a 10 year old bottom of the line stove. 2 large burners, 2 small burners. I have little storage so I am not stocked with a wide variety of stuff & assorted sizes. I don't own a pasta pot but regularly make spaghetti in what would be called 'too little water' by damn near everyone. But I have no place for a big pasta pot, so oversized soup pan it is! I have one large skillet, one small skillet and a cast iron pan of the standard size you think of when you think of a cast iron pan. I have 2 small pots and 2 soup sized pots and the oversized soup pot. I also have a dutch oven & assorted silicone bakeware. RR's equipment list can be a challenge for me, especially if you need to have more than 2 burners going. For this meal I needed a pasta pot, a large skillet and a medium skillet. Assuming I owned all these things, I could not actually have all of them on the stove at once (at least not at an effective heat because one of them would be on a small burner). I ended up with my large pot & using my large skillet twice, which meant the turkey got a little cool. I'm also lacking in counter space which made the 'dust the pasta' part of the cooking go a bit slowly & I ended up dusting a fair amount of the kitchen floor in the process. Having made the meal I am wondering how she cooked the pasta effectively in the medium skillet as I used a large one & still needed to do it in 2 batches. The sauce needed thickening with a roux I think. Also I am glad I stuck with one lemon instead of using the 2 recommended as the first words out of DH's mouth were "Thats lemony!" I will be making the cutlets again. Not with the pasta though, or not with the pasta in that way. I like pasta crisped up in a skillet but the little boys do not & wouldn't eat it. However I think just regular cooked pasta served with the thicker sauce on it and the turkey would go over well.

No comments: