Friday, November 02, 2007

Baggage - breakfast

My husband likes cookies. He has baked a batch of chocolate chip cookies every Thursday evening for about 3 years now. He also made them on Mondays for awhile, until his pants stopped fitting. Now he takes half of every batch into the office for his co-workers to enjoy. He loves Oreos. Whenever we go past and Oreo display in the grocery store Mayhem shouts "Those the cookies Daddy wikes! We buy cookies for Daddy?" Mayhem has a prodigious memory. I have not bought a bag of Oreos in well over a year, specifically because Daddy loves the Oreos. A 2lb bag will be gone in less than 48 hours. I will have eat 4 of them & the boys each had a couple. He knows he has a problem with chocolate cookies, so I just don't buy them.

He hands this baggage of his off the children by banning Cookie Crisp from the house. Not all sugary cereal, not all chocolate cereal. They eat Frosted Flakes, Apple Jacks and even Coco Puffs at times. Theoretically he has no problem with them eating Chocolate Captain Crunch. Its only a theory because they have never asked for it, but odds are he wouldn't blink an eye. His issue is that Cookie Crisp looks like cookies and you can't have cookies for breakfast. You can have sugar in any other shape, just not cookies. I go along with prohibition because it's minor & I understand that it's his 'thing'. But really...I don't get it. Its cereal. I ate it as a kid, he ate it as a kid. Neither of us have cookies for breakfast now.

The boys have had Cookie Crisp twice, before DH told me he would really prefer I not buy it. They thought it was ok, they prefer Apple Jacks & yogurt Cheerios. But now that I have to say "Sorry you can't have that" they are fascinated with Cookie Crisp. I can't say they are desperate to eat it, they just love talking about it. We can't go down the cereal aisle without a discussion about how Daddy doesn't want them eating Cookie Crisp. "Daddy no like cookie cereal." they announce. "We not allowed to eat it. How come Daddy no like cookie cereal? Daddy like Oreos." I'm sure every stock boy in Safeway is now completely familiar with my husband's cookie issues.

I saw a recipe recently for "breakfast cookies" made with whole wheat & dried fruit & a few other wholesome breakfast-y things. If I try it I'll have to call it 'breakfast bars'

No comments: