Sunday, November 04, 2007

Restaurant review -Thai

We have a Thai restaurant in our small town. How authentic is it? Well, the owners are Thai, from Thailand, so I'm assuming it is at least mostly authentic, especially if you get the 'Thai hot' spice option. People who have been to Thailand say it is very authentic. Did those people eat in actual Thai restaurants & homes or did they eat 'tourist Thai'. I have no idea. I don't really care either. The authenticity of the taste is of less concern to me than the taste itself.

I admit up front I do not order things Thai hot, or even American hot. If a dish comes with a spicy garlic sauce I will try it, but I am not going to ask to kick it up a notch and I lean toward more mild meals like Pad Thai or Lad Na. If am feel extravagant I'll get the Crispy Duckling & if I just want some duck I'll get the Honey Roasted Duck soup. Both are a wonderful combination of sweet & spicy. 'Authentically' both probably would have more chilies, but I'm happy with the amount as they are. My fall back dish is Pad See Ew, usually with shrimp. I prefer the wide rice noodles to the thinner ones in Pad Thai. It is flavorful buy not hot. I have been meaning to try the red curry but what I really want is someone else at my table to get the red curry so I can try it first. It is listed as 'Mexican hot' which is a bit much for me usually. I don't want to order a dish & find it is too hot for me to eat, but I don't want ask them to bland it down until I know how hot it actually is. It smells delicious, but things that smell delicious are often too hot for me to eat.

The service is better than most in the area, probably because none of the employees are from the area. They have a nice wine list too. I really enjoy this restaurant and am glad they seem to be doing well.

No comments: